Sunday, January 7, 2007

This blog was born out of frustration.

Mainly my frustration stems from other people with riveting blogs who never update them.

I know it should be about quality over quantity, but I figure I'll go with the contemporary cultural flow and just keep producing material regardless of its quality or relevance. So rest assured, I'll keep up with the times by pumping out drivel on a daily basis!

So first, please endure some thoughts about my daily experience with the outside world:

My first stop in the morning is usually the New York Times daily email, which conveniently arrives in condensed, easily-digested bites of information as per the digital norm. Fascinating stuff with a wholly liberal bent, which is fine as long as you know that, and as long as you're liberal.

Next, I'll read over shoulders on the subway and catch nasty and disturbing bits of slackery from the sharp minds at the Metro and AM New York. Or if I'm lucky, the New York Post. A sample cover photo from a recent edition of the Post included a 13-cubic inch photo of Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Britney Spears piled into Paris' car, with this enormous caption: BIMBO SUMMIT.

Even better than the Post is AIM Today, which pops up automatically when I turn on my AOL Instant Messenger every morning. So the first thing I see when I get into work is usually a photo of one of the aforementioned dingbats with a caption like, "Why Was Lindsay Rushed To The Hospital!?", enticing teenagers everywhere to become investigative reporters into the mundane with hardly any effort at all. All told, there are about 12 different news stories on AIM Today, none of which deal with anything remotely resembling "news" in the parlance of 20th century tradition. Obviously there's nothing about Darfur, because you don't want to bum anyone out, but the sheer force of the news about Lindsay on AIM is jarring. That's what all of this boils down to -- not the quality of it, but the false importance of it. When there's no quality and no relevance, the only thing left to do is jack up the importance! And now I sound like an old man.

Tomorrow, no media criticism. I'll write something about Darfur.

Actually I won't. I should make a vow right now that this blog will deal with nothing that bums people out. No ranting. But that's damn near impossible these days. We're off to a shaky start here. At the very least, there should be a promise that this thing will be honest. That sounds reasonable.

Tomorrow I'll lecture all of you on the importance of not coming to work hung over. It won't be about me, but about this guy I work with. His name is...Micah.

There's always something important to write about.

No comments: